FRM Ingénierie and Telespazio France have combined their talents and resources to conceive CIRCAET, an efficient, permanent, automated and cost-effective service for keeping track of logging activities on the ground.
Tropical forests – CIRCAET
Keeping watch over tropical forests
Tropical forests are under many competing economic, human and environmental pressures. When managed sustainably, they provide resources for the nation’s economy and stakeholders while continuing to support the needs of local populations.
MANAGING TROPICAL FORESTS SUSTAINABLY FOR THE FUTURE
In line with the laws and regulations of producer nations, the tropical forest industry is today managed and developed in a way that ensures forest resources are exploited with sustainability, traceability and preservation of the environment in mind.
Assuring regulatory compliance and sustainable forest management calls for monitoring capabilities independent of operators on the ground. Our dual expertise combining satellite remote sensing with compliance checking of forest concessions’ documentation is a unique asset for governments, operators and development partners.
MONITORING FOREST ACTIVITIES FROM SPACE
The first operational service to supply compliance indicators for monitoring commercial logging activities in tropical forests, CIRCAET:
- guarantees that logging is planned in line with sustainable forest management practices
- detects any illegal logging to enable law enforcement authorities to act quickly
- monitors forest regeneration zones not open to logging
Offering preferential tasking to acquire imagery at very high spatial resolution from the COSMO-SkyMed satellite constellation, CIRCAET supports legal logging operations in tropical forests by:
- providing a broad, concurrent picture of all authorized and illegal logging concessions
- pinpointing new roads, forest clearings and selective logging
- qualifying compliance through checking of operators’ management documents
- tracking the dynamics of land clearance for farming
- assuring the integrity of conservation and regeneration areas
EXPERT INSIGHT AND EXTRA OPTIONS
CIRCAET helps to gauge a concession’s carbon stocks at the start and end of logging.
INTEGRATED INDUSTRIAL PROCESS
- Image acquisition can be tasked for on-demand monitoring in sensitive areas or if anomalies are detected or suspected
- Secure archiving
- Easy web access to view changes for the full duration of the monitoring contract
- Analysis and mapping of logging authorization documents
- Forest cover change detection in all seasons from very-high-resolution (1 metre) radar satellite imagery
- Compliance indicator and logging monitoring report